Saturday, September 08, 2007

Untitled



Title of this post is not "Untitled" but the image displayed above. I don't know whether you will understand the meaning for this image now, but by the time you will finish reading this post I think you will know what I am talking about. By the way I really don't know why I am writing this post, may be its Saturday, and I don't like to work on Saturday or may be something else.

So it all starts with Wikipedia. For those who do not know Wikipedia, it is a multilingual, web-based, free content encyclopedia project. Wikipedia is written collaboratively by volunteers from all around the world. With rare exceptions, its articles can be edited by anyone with access to the Internet, simply by clicking the edit this page link. Coming back to the point, I was reading about emotions on Wikipedia , now why I was doing that is again a mystery. I found that Emotion, in its most general definition, is a complex psychophysical process that arises spontaneously, rather than through conscious effort, and evokes either a positive or negative psychological response and physical expressions, often involuntary, related to feelings, perceptions or beliefs about elements, objects or relations between them, in reality or in the imagination. Never thought that something as simple as emotion will be so complex, and the term has no single universally accepted definition.

I thought I should research this topic more, and I found out that there are total 43 kinds of emotions. Wow, 43 is a big number. Though I was impressed by this one emotion, which also happens to be the title of this post.

This emotion is a constellation of emotions and experiences related to a sense of strong affection or profound oneness. The meaning of this emotion varies relative to context. Sometimes it is seen as an ineffable feeling of intense attraction shared in passionate or intimate attraction and intimate interpersonal relationships. Though often linked to personal relations, this emotion is often given a broader signification, its a emotion of humanity, of nature , with life itself, or a oneness with the Universe, a universal emotion or karma . It can also be construed as Platonic emotion (name) , religious emotion, familial love, and, more casually, great affection for anything considered strongly pleasurable, desirable, or preferred, to include activities and foods. This diverse range of meanings in the singular word (name of this emotion) is often contrasted with the plurality of Greek words for (name of this emotion) reflecting the concept's depth, versatility, and complexity.

Let me first tell you what are those other 42 emotions. They are:

Acceptance, Affection, Aggression, Ambivalence, Anger, Apathy, Anxiety, Compassion, Confusion, Despair, Disgust, Doubt, Ecstasy, Empathy, Envy, Embarrassment, Euphoria, Fear, Forgiveness, Frustration, Guilt, Gratitude, Grief, Happiness, Hatred, Hope, Horror, Hostility, Homesickness, Hysteria, Loneliness, Paranoia, Pity, Pleasure, Rage, Regret, Remorse, Sadness, Shame, Suffering, Surprise and Sympathy.

Interesting thing is all of the above emotions are one way or another related to the emotion which I have been talking about. I can keep writing about the relation of each of these emotions with the central emotion, but I think it will all be meaning less if I write about them without feeling those emotions.

One thing which I am feeling right now, and may be that is the reason why I am writing this post, is this emotion is so strong that you would give up everything. To just feel it once, to know that you are part of something special. To know that you can feel what this emotion really is; to know, to feel, to (the title of this post).

1 comment:

Anshul said...

All I can say is that this emotion is a bad obsession indeed!

Has the bug bitten you of late?